Saturday, August 25, 2012

reunion


What is with reunions these days? Has the aspect of social media really taken all the fun out of having reunions? Back when, it seems everyone was eager to go to their high school reunion to see what everyone looked like, what they were all up to, etc. Now, thanks to Facebook, we already know everything there is to know about our fellow classmates, and sometimes, we wind up knowing more than we actually want. Boo.
I wish I had really thought about this concept before volunteering to coordinate our high school ten year reunion. I also didn't know at the time that I would soon be pregnant. So a year ago, I was all about it! Fast forward about six months and I was eager to get started on the planning. I started pinning decor ideas on Pinterest, gathering everyone's information (via Facebook, of course), got a reunion email address up and running and was pretty happy with the influx of positive responses from my classmates.
So imagine me trucking right along down a straight and narrow path... now imagine me coming to a screeching halt and hitting major major potholes. Ouch. Add to that picture a baby bump and imagine 100+ degree Alabama heat. Yep, that is a pretty good portrait of myself and this reunion this summer.

Why, why, why would it be this way? Well, in 2012, it seems a lot of people like to commit to something, and then back out when it is time to foot the bill. I know, that has happened in many situations for many many years, but I know of several reunions this summer going through my exact troubles. So after money is spent, deposits are placed and things are booked, it is quite stressful to not see the numbers go up in an expected fashion. When the attendee numbers don't go up, neither does the bank account numbers. When the bank account numbers don't go up, we have to improvise and crunch our plans- and quick.

So! Here is a rundown of what I had originally planned for our reunion. We are using a local brewery that has an awesome upstairs with exposed brick walls, beamed ceiling and strung lights. I loved the price of the place, the charm, and the laid-back vibe it gave off. I knew we would all enjoy ourselves there and it not feel too "stuffy."
They already have a handful of tables as well as black tablecloth, so I was only looking at having to decide on table arrangements and rent some chairs. They also have a flat screen television hooked up where I planned to play our high school video. All I really had to do was book a caterer and a band, and I was set!

So in comes the first major pothole- people are not buying tickets. Second major pothole- fire marshall has demanded some fire safety renovations to the brewery's upstairs before any more events can take place, and third major pothole: the catering company requests at least 100 guests in order to do business, of which we don't have (we only sold about 65 tickets), nor do we have the funds to cover it all at this point. And all of this happened within the week before the reunion. Ummm... preterm labor, anyone?

What is one to do in this situation? First, I told myself: Do.NOT.Panic.

Here is what I decided upon for the final plan:
I had koozies and name tags made with this awesome logo designed by the one and only Katie Beth Owens of The Good Stuff.


I already own tons of glass vases in an array of shapes, as well as candle votives and mason jars. Here are my Pinterest choices for table arrangements:

Pinned Image
Mini flower arrangements in small mason jars for cocktail tables and bar top

Pinned Image
Lemons and Limes for vase fillers- our high school's colors
Pinned Image
Votive candles in mason jars with yearbook photos on the outside
I also opted for playing Rhapsody on the ipod dock instead of a band. The brewery had an awesome band playing for that night but due to sudden storms, that too was washed out. 

As for food, one of our classmates owns a barbecue business and volunteered up her
peeps to provide the food instead of the initial catering option. I then went and had a sheet cake made with
our logo instead of a dessert table like originally planned.
The food was all gobbled up and I didn't hear one complaint.

It also helped that the brewery only serves their own brewed, high gravity beers.
So it didn't take long for everyone to loosen up a bit.

I was worried at first that people would "clique up" into groups and make the reunion awkward. I am very happy to report that everyone mingled and hung out together, even if we didn't in high school. The reunion was supposed to be over at 10:00 but we actually had people there until about 12:30 or so.
I would say that clarifies that we had fun!

Everyone that came was super appreciative of all my hard work and I was really really grateful for that. AND, I am glad it is now out of my hair and behind me. Here are some pictures of the night:

Photo
Group Shot!
Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo
Silly picture 

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment