Wednesday, May 29, 2013

identity capital for the 20-somethings

Has someone ever said something to you that to them may have been nonchalant, but wound up being deeply impacting on your life? I have. My psychology professor at Auburn made a profound comment one day that has run through my mind ever since. "You girls better figure out now who you are and who you are to become, based on something other than your looks; because by the time you are 35, all the 19-year-olds will be prettier than you." It was in that defining moment that it kind of hit me. He is exactly.right. What am I doing here? Why am I so wrapped up in how I am dressed or look for class, when there are tons of people who would give anything to be in my shoes- at this college, getting a degree of their choice. Their choice to then use, contentedly, every day for the rest of their lives. It was really only after that day that I feel I truly got serious with college and making a career out of what I learned there, not just treating it like some big, swanky, co-ed summer camp. He helped put into perspective that I ain't got all day to figure my life out; that within a few years if I don't have a plan in place, it might just be too late to put it altogether.

Chassity over at Look Linger Love posted this awesome video yesterday about this generation's 20-somethings and how we have been taught that we have "extra" time to kind of flounce around through life for a decade since 30 is the new 20. Meg discusses how wrong this saying truly is. She talks about where we perceive a lot of our 20-something decisions to be "identity exploration," a lot of them are really more "identity procrastination." Instead, we should start investing in "identity capital" as it begets identity capital for your future.

Makes sense, and it wouldn't hurt the guys to hear it, either.

Check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment