Thursday, December 25, 2014

Christmas Traditions

It has been a whole year since my last post. As I shake my head and clear my mind of self-loathing, I do find it a bit interesting that in the midst of all the things that have kept me away so long, I have an urge to find some time during the Christmas season to post each year. This year, I was inspired by Patience Brewster, a one-artist company that designs whimsical and unique Christmas ornaments and gifts
Tonight's post is not about the life haps of the past 365 days, but about the things we are doing today, this week, this month, that have been done for what I can remember of my almost 31 years of life. Traditions. Christmas traditions. I love that over the years, I have grown to adore bits of  those from my own family, picked up some from friends, as well as those of my husband's family traditions. A few of the tried and true traditions of my family include going to a candlelight Christmas worship service and visiting a live nativity at a local church. We also grew up reading the Christmas story from the Bible every Christmas Eve before bed. These are the traditions of which I continue, as they are the true meaning of the season. In addition, we have also always spent much of the December month baking, even though it's not our forte the other 11 months out of the year. Christmas cookies, oatmeal fudge, chocolate covered pretzels & spicy sausage balls are the staples. My in laws make from-scratch fig cookies, but after watching the time consumed by the whole ordeal, I think I will pass on that one. Instead, the addition of decorating a gingerbread house seemed much more fun. As the years go by, I hope Rilynn will be eager to participate and eventually have an annual family gingerbread competition.
Traditions are at a transitional phase in our home this year, as we are currently residing with the in laws as we build our new house. It's also transitioning from us as a couple to us as a family with a two-year old, meaning all of the get togethers will be more child-focused. It's been a bit chaotic this season, and more difficult to squeeze everything in with all of the families. Next year, I plan for all to be the beginning of our new way of doing things- everyone together at one time at our home. Christmas Eve dinner after Mass, hot toddy's, gingerbread houses & board games. Ri's excitement over setting out Santa's treats & opening her Christmas pajamas each year to wear for Christmas morning. I will also resume my annual Pancakes & Pajamas Play date that I began two years ago with my girlfriends and the babies. It is going to be so fun to get them together each year for jammy fun, Christmas carols & holiday crafts.

Traditions don't have to be set in stone. As is with everything in life, over time, they may need to be reshaped a bit to fit the ever-evolving and changing family dynamics. They are to be continued out of love, fun and nostalgia. And as you can tell, I am constantly adding to my list of traditions! It will definitely be interesting to see which ones we continue to prioritize over the coming years.

What are some of your family traditions? I would love to hear them!

Wishing you all a very merry Christmas and a season of delightful traditions!

5 comments: